Back in the mid 90’s I got the itch to have a progressive press, at the time the Dillon had the interchangeable tool heads which would fit my needs or should I say wants nicely. The original idea was to set up a tool head for every caliber I owned and at one point this all came true. After a couple of years I found that my ideas were good in theory but not practical for my needs. The press, all the tool heads and powder measures sat on the bench taking up valuable space while my Rockchucker did most of the work. At the time my interests were in rifle calibers and not pistol so when it came to loading rifle I only used it as a single stage press and found it was easier to work with my Rockchucker than the progressive. In or around 2000 I pulled all the stuff off the bench, packed it in boxes and stored it, I have to admit contemplating selling the whole thing several times but figured I would be my loss so I didn’t. Now, 10-12 years later my interest have changed some where I am back shooting pistol and want a chore to load on a single stage press so there was a Dillon resurrection. Time hasn’t changed my space issue either, today the space is even more valuable so rather than mount it permanently as I originally did I looked at the strong mount that Dillon now offers. Here is where I get cheep, seeing that by the time I get the strong mount shipped to the house I would spend around $75, more than I really want to invest at the time so let’s build one. I looked at several options, aluminum, steel, wood or a combination of wood and metal and in the end it was easier and quicker for me to build out of wood. So in the following pictures will go from raw materials to the finished project………
Measuring and cutting of legs along with the top then checking the angles to make sure everything clears along with the ram in both positions. The main object is to end up with something that is not on a massive scale, this is where the mount that Dillon offers excels in.
The material list reads as:
½ inch Baltic Birch Plywood
Top and base of the mount is 1 inch Oak Plywood
Edging and adornments are Black Walnut
¼ inch T-nuts anchor the mount to the base (removable if needed)
Finish is Helmsman’s Spar Urethane
The bullet tray in this picture was made back in the 90’s when I first installed the press on my bench, I remember digging thru sample plates of Laminate to find a match for Dillon blue, and this laminate has come in handy over the years for it matches many other paint schemes.
Now as it sits on the left corner of my antique mail sorting bench, one clamp is more than adequate to secure it for loading pistol plus I can now remove it easily for storage when not in use. Mission accomplished and out of pocket $$, well it is hard to tally a cost for this project as I didn’t spend a dime to purchase anything, all the lumber was scraps or left-over’s from other projects.
After pumping out a thousand 38’s and 357 I am pleased that I did not cave into the temptations of selling it.
For those that asked here is a drawing with some basic/ simple dimensions of the mount that I built. Everything herein is approximate, angles are as close as I could measure, not everything comes out perfect or exact, that is what they make belt sanders for.
Best regards on your adventures…………